Having a UC system can be productivity-enhancing, but can also deliver complicated security challenges to small businesses. By following these best practices, small businesses can achieve higher levels of security without dedicating a substantial amount of resources or manpower. They are effective and simple security management solutions that address the challenges of managing a converged network of VoIP, video and data.
- Ensure your Firewall is Configured Properly – Your UC server needs to be sequestered behind some sort of firewall. It’s shocking how may small and midsize businesses either don’t have a firewall, or they have a firewall but there are ports open to all networks, since they want to allow their remote users access. That method is no better than not having a firewall.
- Use a VPN for your Remote Users – Most networking devices come int with integrated VPN capabilities. These types of devices are often quite affordable. The easiest way to keep your network safe is to deploy a VPN device at the office and at the remote end.
- Use Better Passwords – Strong system passwords are essential. Your business VoIP phones should be protected with unique SIP passwords. Reusing passwords, or using weak passwords, will make it easy for hackers to get your SIP credentials. If they authenticate an SIP account, that hacker can make any call they see fit as though they were using that phone. They use that power to make toll calls, making you liable for the fees.
- Always Update – By keeping your software updated, you improve your security and simultaneously benefit from bug fixes. As the software company finds or becomes aware of possible weaknesses, security patches are issued. The most recent version of a software is usually the most secure.
- Disable Unused Services – Any features that are not being used should be turned off since that will lessen the potential for attack. It can also improve your overall performance.
- Proactively Monitor Call Logs – By reviewing the system’s logs, you will be able to catch attacks earlier. It will also help establish a baseline for call activity.
- Use all Integrated UC Security Tools – You can use the security tools that come with your UC system to achieve additional protection. It works to give you peace-of-mind and also serves as a back-up to help complete your security system.
TriTech can help your business with all these points and more! Need a security overhaul? Contact TriTech today at 262-717-0037!